BirthNetwork of Northwest Arkansas believes birth is normal, natural, and healthy. We promote mother-friendly care through:
- Advocacy: by leading a grassroots movement of individuals who insist on and support mother-friendly care, based on the principles developed by the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) and the Six Healthy Birth Practices outlined by Lamaze International;
- Information: by providing facts about and contact for mother-friendly maternity care;
- Support: by ensuring that families have a network of experienced, encouraging people to help them make informed choices and embrace birth.
- Birth is a normal, healthy process, not an illness or disease.
- Safe and empowering births can take place in hospitals, birth centers, and homes.
- Birth can profoundly affect our physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.
- Maternity care should be evidence-based and woman-centered.
- Women are entitled to complete and accurate information on their full range of options for pregnancy, birth, post-partum, and breastfeeding.
- Women have a right to make health care decisions for themselves and their babies. That right includes Informed Consent as well as Informed Refusal.
- By making informed choices and having confidence in the process, families can experience safe and satisfying childbirth.